Friday, July 11, 2008

Whip Kicks are Out

I met with Dr. Waldman to discuss my knee on Wednesday. Although I have regained the ability to bend it and my mobility has improved, he thinks scoping it would be beneficial. I still have a dull pain almost constantly and when I move in certain ways (Like throwing a fake punch) I get a shooting horrible pain which feels like someone is stabbing my knee with a screwdriver. Yet, I still wasn't sure that surgery was a sure thing. So I thought I'd do a little experiment. What if I were to go back to working out? I didn't think running would be good, but some sort of exercise to see what it would feel like. I have suspected all along that swimming the breaststroke was the culprit to my knee woes - what if I took a swim? Would it hurt and if so, there's my answer.
So I hopped in the pool yesterday and swam a quarter mile. I alternated between free-style and breast stroke. And don't you know it - that darned whip kick hurt, not bad enough to stop, but enough to let me know there is some sort of trouble in the joint. And today, I am constantly reminded of my experiment. I am even considering wearing my brace. I am also not looking forward to the drive to Smithsburg I will take tonight. Maybe I should leave these decisions to the experts. Who am I to question a world renowned surgeon? So, I'll take a little Advil and rest today.
I wonder if the scissors kick would be any better...?

2 comments:

kreed said...

I started a swimming regiment this week, which reminded me of this post. I paid attention to my knees after reading your issues, and you can definately feel pressure on that joint during breast stroke. I'm using that as a warm up, then moving on to freestyle and switching back and forth. I'm up to about 17 minutes of swim time before it feels like my heart will explode. Backstroke could be a good option (?)

Bebe Ferro said...

Backstroke is just upside down freestyle so I think it won't give you any "rest". I sometimes throw the granny-sidestroke in if I need the heart to slow up a bit. Of course you can always try butterfly, but I wouldn't risk it. You are getting a little old.