Monday, July 28, 2008

There's nothing on

Sometimes I fantasize about having nothing to do. I dream of being able to watch television all day without interruption (or without having to watch Sponge Bob).  I dream of being lost in a book for hours. And then, one day I get operated on. My kids go off in search of more fun than I can offer. Bella goes to the pool with the girls. Colson goes to the Jahries. Even Judith (my amazing mother-in-law who has come to take care of me) is busy with laundry and sheets (I know, your thinking how dare I even think about complaining). 
And so I sit on the couch to watch a little TV. I flip from channel to channel watching bits and pieces of DIY shows, nanny shows, etc. I pick up a magazine and flip through. I pick up a book and read a few pages. Nothing really seems to hold my interest though. 
What I'd really like to be doing is packing for the beach or cooking an awesome veggie burger. Or maybe even sitting pool side with the kids. Or going for a hike. Or walking without limping. But instead, I'm sitting with my leg up. I spend a few listless moments on the computer. I read a few pages. I stare blankly at the TV.
I guess forced relaxation really isn't relaxing at all. I just keep thinking of other things I could be doing. I've never really been good at relaxing anyway. Ask anyone who has ever been on vacation with me. I usually cook something then clean up then pack up something then move onto the next thing. I don't often just sit. Unless it's in a nice warm tub (which I can't do until the stitches come out) and then I can sit and read all night. I don't think it's an ADD thing. I can usually give a project my full attention. But when it comes to doing nothing - forget it. I'm like a 5 year old who just ate a Fun Dip. Now I know why my sister Sue was painting her basement after shoulder surgery. Because she needed to. I can't imagine where I'd be going all day if only I could drive. Well, that's not entirely true. I would have gone to Atwater's for lunch. I would go to Home Depot Expo and start picking out bathroom accessories. I would be looking at glass tile at a tile store. 
I guess I just not the kind of person who is meant to relax. I've been doing nothing for the last few days and it's getting a little depressing. Anyone want take me to Lowes? 

2 comments:

kreed said...

You have a pool?

Bebe Ferro said...

Not in the yard. A community pool. I'm headin gthere now for some dinner. It will be nice to be out of the house for a while.