Friday, July 18, 2008

What water?

Okay, so if you read my comments from my last post you will know that the leaky water jugs on the shelf were the cause of the garage leak. DUH!?! (Ben is not the only idiot in this family). Dave came over to investigate the interior basement wetness. He checked up in the ceiling, along the wall and thought perhaps there could be a tiny leak in the pipe to the shower. Maybe I could see how wet it is in a few days call him back if need be. Sure, then he looked at the dehumidifier. I told him the dehumidifier was in the spot where it was wet but I wasn't sure it was the culprit or not as the carpet was not wet. Also, Frank empties it a lot and would have noticed wet carpet and if it wasn't filling up he would have noticed. But, the problem did not occur in the tank of collected water. I took out the tank and still didn't see any holes or drip or wetness on the outside of any kind. The fullness monitor was working just fine. There was however a penny size spot of water under the unit. He felt under the dehumidifier and concluded that the problem was coming from the coolers. The unit was heating up way too much and the coolers were condensing rapidly causing the drip. So, two problems solved at a fraction of what I thought it would be. I'll buy a new dehumidifier this weekend and find a new place to store "survival" water.
Of course I still have very wet carpet padding to deal with. I would really like to take up all the carpet and put down tile with an area rug on top. That way, the 6th time we have water in our basement, cleanup will be easier and less expensive.

3 comments:

mitchg said...

I didn't realize that Ben's an idiot. What did he do to deserve that?

Bebe Ferro said...

You must not have read his first blog. There's a link to his blog on my page. Read the one titled I fixed my Camera.

kreed said...

I'm sure you know this but you can dump the dehumidifier with a hose so you don't have to dump the pan all the time, if you have a basement sink or drain.

And I'm sure you guys have put that Drylok stuff on the walls, if water comes through there.