Sunday, October 19, 2008

Rudeness on the Trail

I have recently started biking the NCR trail again after a long span of bicycle neglect.  I thought since I can't run anymore I would try dusting the cob webs off the bike and see what a little exercise felt like. It felt pretty good physically. Mentally though, it's not what I thought it would be. 

I noticed the first few times I was out how unfriendly most people are. So I decided to do a little tracking the last time I was out. I tallied how many people I passed face to face (those I passed on the way don't count as I can't see their faces) and kept track of how many smiled, nodded, waved or greeted me in some way. 
 
At first I was delighted. I got smiles, waves and hellos from the first five people I met. Then the numbers got dismal. I noticed women more than men will completely ignore the fact that another human being is in their midst. Male/female couples seemed to be the friendliest. Groups of women seemed to be the least friendly. I don't know what is in the tree branches when I pass some women but it sure must be interesting. So often, just as I am peddling near enough to make some sort of greeting, they look up in the trees. 

I went 7 miles north and was very disappointed to count less than half of my fellow cyclers and pedestrians  greeted me in some way. And by greeting I don't mean I am looking for a "Hello! How do you do?" All I really need is a nod, a small raising of the lips into a partial smile, a grunt would even suffice. We're all out there to enjoy the beauty of nature while we get a little exercise so why can't we be friendly in the process?

On one outing, I had the kids with me and I recognized a passing biker as a friend from my childhood. I called to her and we stopped, moved out of the way of passing cyclists and joggers and chatted a bit. One burly biker coming toward us stared and shook his head as if we were somehow ruining his ride. We were not in his way and on no way did we slow him down. And yet, he still thought it necessary to glare at us and pass judgement. So, of course, I yelled out as sarcastically as I could, "Sorry we ruined your ride!" My friend was mortified at my boldness. Then she related a story in which she and her friend were riding along chatting and a rider came toward them and asked if they could talk a little louder. Voices do carry at some points on the trail, but when did having a conversation while exercising become a crime? 

I could understand wanting uninterrupted exercise time if you're training for a race or if you are really hard core. But, I don't think the NCR trail is the place for that. It's a flat wooded trail friendly to walkers, joggers, bikes, strollers and horses. It's not exactly a trip trough the Tour de France route. There are tons of little kids and families, old people, young couples, people on their lunch hour getting in a walk. It's a casual place. And should be a friendly one. 

Fortunately I don't let the rude ones keep me from coming. I'll still take my 14 mile rides and soon make them 20 mile rides. I'll still take the kids out on the weekends and evenings for a ride to the ice cream shop. 

So if you see me out there, ignore the branches overhead and give me a little nod. 

3 comments:

kreed said...

What I hate the most is when I actually say "Hey" to someone, you know, like loud enough that I'm sure they heard it, and they still ignore me. For a split second, I feel like an idiot. Makes me want to slap 'em. Right in the kisser. Then after that, I realize that they are either deaf (unlikely, but possible), or that they simply have a pathetic life and battered self-esteem, and have given themselves a 5-second self-image boost by ignoring my hello. And then I realize they've done me a favor, because I now know to avoid them - and their psychosis.

Ride on!

Bebe Ferro said...

I keep wanting to stop the people and ask them why it's so hard to simply acknowledge me. But I chicken out. When you're alone on the trail it may not be in your best interest to start something with a total stranger.

Unknown said...

Now I know it's not just me. I noticed this back when I used to use the trail from 97-99 and thought people didn't like me because I'd run with my dog. Well now I find people are equally as rude, especially on weekends. And I know it's not because of my dog because I'm alone. Some days I get pissy and decide not to acknowledge anyone but then I think, no, I'm out on the trail on a beautiful day (usually) and doing what I love, why shouldn't I be friendly and in a good mood. So instead I will just yell louder, "I said hello!" .Thanks Bebe for allowing me to vent before I venture out onto that mostly unfriendly trail :)