Thursday, October 29, 2009

Treme: Homefront Log; The Early Days, Day 2

Today began a little earlier as Colson woke up at 7 and was ready for action. Bella slept in a little. I did not. I joined Colson in the kitchen as he was finishing his breakfast. You've just gotta love a self-sufficient kid. He went upstairs to practice guitar and as I helped Bella pick out her clothes I heard a much improved "Don't Stop Believing" coming from his room. At guitar practice Tuesday, Matt taught him "Crazy Train" and "Fire on the Mountain". He'll be very well rounded in terms of musical genre.
The weather was pretty nice today, overcast at high 50's so we walked even though Bella insisted that she hates walking. It's nice to walk with the crunch of leaves underfoot. I returned home and attempted to clean the kitchen. I was distracted often. As I cleaned the table I noticed how dirty the outside window sill was. So I spent 20 minutes cleaning the exterior kitchen windows and frames. Of course I then had to do the kitchen doors as well. The phone rang a few times and the dinging of fresh emails caught my attention once or twice. Cleaning the countertops led to cleaning out a cabinet to make room for supplements which led to washing some water lined mugs to put in the freezer which led to wiping out the freezer. Finally though I did get most of the room clean. I took a lunch break and watched "Clean House" (go figure!) before heading to school for Finer Diner.
Siri stopped at Micky D's for the kids' lunches and she was kind enough to pick up some fries for Colson and me to share. He was thrilled. The kids were pretty well behaved and seemed to enjoy their prizes of Halloween themed erasers and pencils. Once back at home I organized some art fundraiser papers and reluctantly went back to face the kitchen floor.
My focus was better and I whipped through the task not stopping at the end of the kitchen though. I cleaned all the wood floors, then vacuumed the rugs. I cleaned the bathroom and butlers pantry too. I was on a cleaning roll. Nothing could stop me. Next, on to the upstairs. Well, maybe tomorrow. It was time to pick up the kids so the bedrooms will have to wait.
No dead animals on the way home today. Only Bea running amok with the kids trying to catch her to get her back in the house.
Ellen Birkenthal was waiting on the porch for us with a dress form her daughter bought at a yard sale. She no longer wants it and thought I might so she sold it to me. It's very old and a little junky, but I think I can make it work. Mostly, it's going to be a wicked and creepy Halloween decoration. I'm going to get some gauzy black fabric to make a dress. I think it will be a headless ghost of some sort. I may try to rig a sound effect in it too.
After homework, Bella headed over to Theresa's where she stayed to have dinner. Ben Stoner came and played with Colson and wound up having dinner with us. When Bella got home we all went to Old Navy for a shirt for Bella's costume. We then just had to check out the Spirit Halloween store after how creepy and scary it sounded from Ben's description. Thank heavens I didn't need to buy anything there. The line went all the way to the back of the store. We browsed all the scary and bloody items then decided it was time to go. Ben thinks the owner of Spirit "really thinks outside the box." He then described an item in the store that made him think this. It's a portrait of a man, but when you walk past it, the picture is of a skeleton. Therefore - out of box thinking.
We got home a little before 8 and I told the kids to head up for PJ's and teeth. The doorbell rang which creeped me out a little but it was only Mitch and Shane. Mitch is dressing as a country singer tomorrow for work and needed a wig and hat. So up to the attic I went and with just a little digging I found what she needed. Why I didn't get my costume out while I was up there I'll never know. I'll have to go back up in the morning though. Bella wants me to dress as a witch for her class party.
So, now they are in bed and I've still got dinner dishes to do - and no, I'm not slacking. The dishwasher was still running when dinner was over so I couldn't do them right away. I do not really like the whole cooking and cleaning of dinner. I took trash and recycling out today too. Heavy lifting can't be too far off.
Hope you had a lovely day. Goodnight.

No comments: