Monday, November 10, 2008

And I Ran...

I was working at University of Maryland this morning (with Gary Williams) on an UnderArmour commercial. I was involved in dressing some very muscular athletes and wetting them down to make them sweaty. They were jogging in place and doing push-ups to pump themselves up before each take (testosterone city!) and I began feeling very antsy. I wanted so badly to work out right then and there. Of course the cashmere sweater and wedges I was wearing prevented me from going at it right then, but I was very inspired to exercise by the time I was off work (which was only 5 hours after I went in). So I came home, checked email, facebooked for a few minutes and talk on the phone. The urge to move was still there so I got on my workout gear, dusted off my weights and did a nice 30 minute strength workout. 
It was nearing time to pick up the kids so I thought I would first walk my old running route before heading up to school. I power walked up and down the first hill and felt invigorated.  I continued walking up the second hill and as I got to a nice flat spot I began to jog. It felt pretty good so I picked up the pace a little. Before I knew it I was running. Wow, it was great to feel the pounding of my feet on the pavement, to feel the wind in my ears, to get into a rhythm of pumping arms, breathing in, breathing out, step, step, step. 
I thought I'd just go a few blocks but there was no real pain so I kept going. I continued to run past my turn around spot and kept on running. I figured I'd get to the upcoming hill and take it back to a fast walk. But at the base of the hill I still felt great so I charged it. I made it all the way to the top and then some. Then, I felt a little ache and slowed it down.  I turned around and walked back to the school. I was sweaty, tired, winded and sore and I felt terrific. 
I'm probably going to pay for that run tomorrow in aches and pains in my knee. Judging from the way it feels now I'm going to need a little ibuprofin and ice tonight. But no matter what it feels like now I feel renewed. It's been 5 months since I've been for a run. 5 long months. I'll take a few days to recover before I try again. I'll strengthen it a little more and take some bike rides. But I'm definitely running again. 
 

No comments: